Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Special Dinner on Tuesday at Home

Today is a good day. Six months and one day ago, I had my ex-husband served with divorce papers. The divorce, by California law, should be final by now. There was no significant community property issues and it was a pretty much file and it’s done kinda deal. So, today marks the end of California’s six month and one day waiting period for me. Any day I should receive the final decree. I wanted to celebrate this milestone tonight because there were days I didn’t think I’d ever get here. So, without saying anything to my girls, I planned a big dinner. We had fried chicken, mash potatoes, gravy and rolls along with milk in blue glass wine goblets. The kids thought it was great. It’s so rare when we can all have a sit down dinner together.

Samantha, who is 5 wanted to say grace. That’s not a typical habit in our house but she went to a Lutheran preschool and they always said grace before meals. So, I let her have at it. She was so sweet saying: “Dear God, thank you so much for this delicious food and for our family, I love you.” Tooooo cute. I almost cried. Jenna, who is 9, seemed to be delighted by the sit down time too along with the older one. Of course Britt (now 18 and a half) wanted to get as far away from us as she could after she finished eating. It was such a delight to me that something so simple as a home cooked meal, with the good dishes and glass wear, and all of us at the table had such an amazing and calming affect on my little family. We really should try to find the time to eat a regular meal together at the table like that. The girls even wanted candles so we just did it up restaurant style. After our meal, I was amazed. The younger two cleared the table and put the dishes in the dish washer. How cool is that?! They didn’t whine or complain, they just did it sort of as a thanks for creating a brief and special moment at home. They’re out playing now enjoying the last 15 minutes of day light.

It was a really good day and a rather nice evening so far. I’m planning to go to bed early again tonight as I’m just feeling so tired. I’ve had too much emotional stuff going on and really haven’t taken much time to eat or take care of myself in months. I swear, I’ve gained a few pounds in the last two weeks and I’m not sure why. Just felt like eating and well, the tennis…haven’t had much time to play as I threw my back out over the weekend. But I’ve got tennis lessons tomorrow night and will be able to play for at least 90 minutes. That’ll help make up for the calorie intake…and I can do the stairs, all 8 flights at the office starting tomorrow. I don’t want to get out of shape. It’s meant so much to me to be thin right now…sort of a one last thing for a single mom to worry about thing. It’s all good. I’m in a good and peaceful place tonight. I had to let go of some emotional things to get there and hormones aren’t helping me feel completely content but I feel really good.

So, I just wanted to write a little bit about how the very simple things in life can matter big time. Tonight I learned that my little family is just craving my attention in a different way and I was so glad to oblige. Everyone now seems to be at peace. I think I may just strive for doing the same thing one night every week. Then, maybe we can grow that night to two. We’ll see. It’s hard being a busy career mom and taking care of a house and kids. Some days are harder than others but it’s moments like tonight that make me feel like it’s worth it. Both my little girls were so sweet tonight. They told me I was the prettiest most beautiful mommy there ever was. I smiled. I know they are as biased as the day is long but the feeling is mutual so there! LOL

I’m going to go do a little clean up. My thought for now was to remind you to get back to basics in one small area of your life. You might be surprised at how pleasant the impact is. Peace to you all and good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment