Thursday, October 30, 2008

Emotions and Politics

I communed with my beloved stars again this morning. The sky was so black and peaceful. I watched as a satellite traced its way across the sky and wondered what the world looked like from way up there. On cool mornings I can hear the waves hitting the shore. You can’t always hear them being a quarter mile from the beach but I guess the cooler temperature combined with little early morning activity and the sound travels greater distances. It was a peaceful sound and I wished I were dressed warmly and sitting on the sand in the dark awaiting the sun.

I woke up at 3:00 a.m. this morning unable to go back to sleep. This has been a habit of late and one I’m not all that fond of. Luckily I went to bed at a reasonable hour and got a good 6 hours of sleep. I’m going to be tired later I fear. I’ll be ready for a nap about the time I’ll need to meet with my boss…GREAAAT! That’s okay, today is like Friday to me. I’ve got the day off tomorrow. My car is 600 miles past the point at which service was due. It’s only an oil change and tire rotation so not a big deal. That’s the first order of business tomorrow morning. Then, I’m off to get the poor dirty truck detailed. The Santa Ana winds from two weeks ago combined with foggy wet mornings has created quite a mud film on my car. I really need to take care of that. I also need the inside thoroughly vacuumed out. I’m going to attempt to quit smoking in my car and the ashes in it make it smell awful!

I missed my tennis lesson last night and am bummed. I so wanted and needed to play but sciatica kicked in and dictated otherwise. Rather than be upset about it I watched the Obama infomercial. I was really disappointed. I had hoped there would be something new and inspiring and I saw and heard nothing but empty and nebulous campaign promises that already show signs of being huge untruths. I’m sorry folks but I just can’t get behind this candidate. Hillary would have been a better choice for the dem ticket. Everyone seems to be so afraid of McCain and Palin. I think that’s ridiculous. Their personal views on things won’t change the laws of the land and bring down utter destruction as so many people thing…there is a congress, remember? Its okay, to each his and her own. I like the idea of a smart business woman on the GOP ticket. It doesn’t matter to me that her views on abortion don’t match mine. The majority thoughts of the people will keep things fair, that’s just how this country works.

I’ve not voted since Reagan because I was just too disgusted. However, a good friend pointed out the importance of paying attention, staying involved and voting. He’s very wise and I respect him a great deal so I reregistered and will be out next week voting. I’ve been a republican since I was 18. I was careful in making that decision because it resonated with me. I’ve been republican in my views all of these years even when it was unpopular, even when all of my friends went dem. I just couldn’t do it, it wasn’t me. The politics of the campaign are interesting and the media bias irresponsible. I’ve never seen anything like this before and I think those media outlets that participate in biased broadcasting should be held accountable. They have an obligation to bring people the truth, not just their version of it. Report the facts, look for the facts and let them be known. Fox and CNN seem to be the only outlets making an effort to be unbiased although some of the folks do have a bias obviously…at least they’re reporting all facts for both sides and CNN last night seemed to really be making a concerted effort at fairness. I appreciated that immensely.

I think the campaign had me worried and kept me from sleeping. It’s silly, I know but I just can’t help but be passionate about it. My instincts are usually pretty good and I’ve got a bad feeling about the democratic ticket. I don’t like the idea of a democratic congress and democratic president. I don’t think that’s good for our country but that’s just me. I think the problems aren’t democrats or republicans, it’s the people we’ve all elected who’ve been corrupted by a system that is flawed but works for the most part. I hear so many people complain but hey, get out and vote, come up with a solution instead of just whining about the problems…get involved, write letters, send emails do something other than just complaining.

Okay, enough of that rant. I noticed that the fog is rolling in again. My beautiful stars are now obscured, much like the truth in politics…hehehehe. Ah well, I guess that’s just the way it goes and I’ll navigate my way to my morning stopping points by rote I suppose. I’m getting pretty good at that. Despite being tired, I’m surprised at how optimistic I am. I have other heavy stuff weighing on my mind this morning. It’s not easy stuff either. It’s things I’ve never dealt with before so I’m not quite sure how to respond and make decisions. So, I’m doing a bad thing and not making some. I guess I feel like more information is needed or maybe I’m waiting for the unknown to be revealed on it’s own. I’m frustrated at my inability to speak here but that’s just the way it goes for now and the right words, at the right time, will come to the surface and let the truth be known in my current contemplations. It’s all good.

I better get myself off to work. I guess my thought for today is that its okay to drift sometimes without reaching for a shore somewhere. Maybe we need that drifting time to get more in touch with how we feel or let the tide and currents carry us instead of being completely in control. You have to have a lot more faith in the unknown but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Trusting in yourself and our Maker is key here. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment