Saturday, October 13, 2012

Peaceful Time-Out

The sky is gorgeous in October.  I drove by the coast after the sun set just behind Catalina Island and watched the colors turn from neon to smouldering and then gently fade into the sea.  The power of the ocean was just what I needed to clear my head and fill my soul.  Sometimes you have to take a time out from an ordinary life and create a moment of reconnecting to the extraordinary peace that does exist within us and within this world and when the two connect...oh goodness, is it sweet bliss.  I was sitting in my car just watching the waves, listening to Lifehouse, Storm.  Such a great song at this time of day.  Actually, there are many good songs for sun set!  Even just listening to the sound of the wind blow and the hiss of the waves is enough.  There is just something about the ocean that calms the chaos in me in an instant.

I needed this peace and this moment, here in the quiet of the fading colors of an October sun set.  I sat there in the dark for a long time just feeling the rush of the tides deep within my soul and what I found there was joy, happiness and peace.  Truly a treasure after a battle with a nasty flu I thought for sure I was losing today.  But miraculously, the worst of it passed by sunset and I could breathe again!  It's amazing how much we take breathing for granted.  Its so simple, can bring so much peace and yet we notice it and appreciate it only when it is in some way compromised.  I'm reminded the importance of gratitude for all things.  I'm especially grateful for every color of the setting sun, every scent that has ever tickled my senses and every person who has ever touched my life. 

Feeling very much restored, I started my car and turned it away from the Ocean and headed south on Pacific Coast Highway towards home.  The lights seemed more crisp and vibrant than they have in a little while and I flipped through my music for another song, finding another good one (Ashram, Last Kiss - if you're curious) and turned it up loud and just enjoyed my drive home.  Taking a time out is needed sometimes to regain connection, composure and peace in this world.  It's always there when you most need it.  Don't forget ever that you always have the power to find it.  Sweet dreams beautiful dreamers and much peace.

(c) 2012 Jaie Hart (photo/words)

No comments:

Post a Comment