Friday, November 7, 2008

Firmer Footing


Cold and alone in the dark
The chill and my twinkling friends
The sky is black and vast
I feel so very small

I’ve too many thoughts just now
All clamoring for conscious recognition
I can almost touch them
But like smoke, they scatter when I reach for them

It’s been a long hard emotional journey
Although life has been infinitely good
The feeling of stasis overwhelms me
I feel a drift in a torrential sea

I stopped struggling some time ago
And let myself sink below the surface
I found the silence a comfort
Even though I felt I couldn’t breathe

Back to basics and appreciation
The gossamer thread that holds my mind in tact
That keeps my heart from shattering
That keeps my soul alive

I can’t give up so keep swimming
I keep treading water at times until I tire
I let the waves crest and wash over me
Here alone in the blackness

Although overwhelmed I am hopeful
I know the dawn is so near
When the first rays touch my skin
Enlightenment will crystallize my view

Until then I’ll just be here
I’ll breathe and just exist
The sun will show me the shore is in reach
And I know I’ll find light and firmer footing

No comments:

Post a Comment