Sunday, May 17, 2015

What Matters?


Life is fragile and tenuous. We often take it for granted as we focus on objectives, goals or just the acts of everyday living. There are so many things in this world to distract us from what is truly important for us. That thing that is so very important now, may not be of true and lasting value to us in the end.

Life is fragile and tenuous

If you think of just our physical existence, and I don’t mean to paint a frightening picture, but we live on the surface of a planet with a molten moving core. The surface levels shift, change and move on us when we least expect it wreaking havoc in our lives. Changing weather patterns bring us higher water levels and the flora and fauna are affected by the changes that we create.

We have choices to make

 There is so very much that we take for granted caught up in the things that are not of a truly valuable and lasting nature. But that is the beauty of our choice here as we live I suppose. We can wake up every morning grateful or angry. It is up to each of us to decide just how we are going to show up in our day.

As I woke up this morning I realized how far away I’ve gotten from the things important to me. The things that really matter the most. I felt a moment of regret and then realized something. Each day and in each moment we are given the unique and amazing opportunity to change our focus, our thoughts and our actions. There are no wasted moments here really because in each of those moments we learn something.

What is in focus?

 I do not wish to be carried away for moments on end by things that really don’t matter. What I wish to do is dive deeper into those things that matter most. We spend so much of our energy and time on the frustrating things we encounter and by doing so, we increase their scope in our experience. If that is the way we best learn so be it. But know that we don’t have to learn that way always.

We can learn also by focusing on the positive and beautiful aspects of our lives and put our energy there in much more abundance. I find that when I commit and then follow-through in making the time to do that, life becomes sunny and bright even in the middle of a rain storm.

There are choices to make and life to be lived

 As I pause and reflect on these thoughts come full circle for me, the regret is now gone. There’s not a single twinge left. What I feel is a gracious in-flow of gratitude and optimism for life. Life is truly amazing with all of its diversity, dichotomy, wonder and enchantment. Life! That is what I wish to focus on with all the joy in the world I can muster. What about you? What do you want to focus on?


© 2015 Jaie Hart (photo/words)

No comments:

Post a Comment