Saturday, August 30, 2008

Trying

Does the sun try to rise or set each day? Does your heart try to beat? Do you get to the top of a mountain by trying? Actually, NO is the answer to all of the above. How many times have you wanted to change something and you think, "Maybe I'll TRY this or that?" Let me give you another example. I went to a seminar where the facilitator pulled me up in front of the room, asked me to stand in front of a chair and then said, "Try to sit in this chair." I thought, "OK" and then just sat down, easy as pie right? The facilitator said, "You misunderstood my instruction. I said TRY to sit, NOT SIT in the chair." Hmmm, I thought it was just symantics but I learned something new that day. We TRY to do something we believe we will be unsuccessful at. When we "TRY" something we TRY only from a place of doubt. There really is no such thing as "TRY" at all.

Remember "The Little Engine That Could" with his, "I think I can, I think I can?" That's the whole idea. The Little Engine That Could didn't TRY to climb the mountain, he just did it while thinking he could. Think about all the times you TRIED something without believing you could do it. How did it work out for you? You may have had some things that turned out okay or you might have failed. Maybe you tried again and still failed.

Think about this one. Someone asks you to do something and you don't believe you can or maybe you don't even want to and you think "Okay, I'll TRY it." What happens? Either you learn that your doubts about your ability were unfounded or you fail miserably because you didn't believe you could do what you set out to do.

Much of life's successes are the direct result of knowing the things you can accomplish (e.g., setting reasonable goals - now I suppose if you truly believed hard enough, you might pick the winning lottery numbers but that is not really a reasonable goal because there are statistics involved stacked against you - real road blocks not just perceived ones) and believing you can accomplish the goals that you set.

Next time you set a goal for yourself, just do it, don't TRY to do anything. If you want to climb a mountain, you don't TRY to climb a mountain, you take one step at a time and believe in your ability to complete the climb. Thinking about TRYING means you are still in your head with concepts and doubts and you're not out of your head and taking action.

So, don't TRY to do anything anymore. Set a reasonable goal and just start taking one step at a time knowing you can do it.

Have a beautiful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment